Monday, March 4, 2013

Blueberry Muffin Cake with Coconut Streusel


A few days ago I really, really wanted blueberry muffins, but I didn't want to have to go through the whole process of scrubbing clean a muffin pan.  Because, well, that's just a pain.

Admit it. I know you've been there.


So I made a muffin cake instead.

Blueberry muffin cake with coconut streusel.  I sliced into it while it was still hot from the oven and the inside was steamy and spongy and soft like a cloud.  Perfect for a rainy day.



We've got sour cream in this cake.  This keeps it moist and fluffy.


Throw in some blueberries - or strawberries, or raspberries, or anything you like, really.  Just something juicy that will burst in your mouth when you take a bite.


Top it with coconut streusel. I encourage big flakes of coconut. 

This streusel rocks my world.  Or at least this cake's world.  Don't skip it - it's the best part.


One for me, one for you.



Make it.  Eat it.  Then blog about it while you're supposed to be doing 100 pages of law readings.

It's the right thing to do.


Blueberry Muffin Cake
Adapted from use real butter, who adapted it from Donna Hay

Note: At the moment the cake is not very sweet and so it's balanced out nicely by the sweet crunchiness of the topping.  If you'd prefer to skip the streusel, I'd add just a little bit more sugar to the cake.

2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup oil
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup blueberries
Coconut streusel (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 175C/350F.  Line an 8-inch round or square cake pan with baking paper.

Whisk together flour, baking powder and sugar in a medium bowl.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream, oil and lemon zest together until well combined.  Add the dry mixture and mix until just incorporated.  Stir in blueberries.  Transfer the mixture to the baking tin and sprinkle the coconut streusel on top.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.  Leave on a wire rack to cool.

Coconut Streusel
Adapted from Baking Obsession

Note: You can toast the coconut before mixing it into the streusel if you like.  I didn't, and the coconut gets toasted in the oven while the cake bakes anyway.

1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 cup caster sugar
Pinch of salt
50g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (or coconut flakes)

Whisk together flour, sugar and salt in a small bowl.  Add the butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingers until it resembles small crumbs (alternatively, use a pastry cutter).  Stir in the coconut.  You can make this ahead and keep it in the fridge for up to 2 days.

7 comments :

  1. Just hopped over Food Gawker--this muffin cake sounds great (totally like the idea of turning all muffins into cakes..haha). And I totally agree, blogging about these muffins was way more important than studying! :) Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I try to find the lazy way to do anything... whenever I can, really. ;)

      Delete
  2. That looks like such a perfectly moist and delicate cake! I love the pop of the blueberries and the creativity of using coconut in the streusel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Blueberries and coconut are such a good combo.

      Delete
  3. This looks wonderful! DO you think I could use yoghurt in the cake instead of sourcream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think yoghurt would be awesome in this cake as well!

      Delete
  4. Oh yum this looks so good, I love the idea of a muffin cake!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day, so please leave a little happiness for me!