Monday, April 29, 2013

4-Ingredient Nutella Cookies


It's Monday again. It just insists on rolling around every six days, doesn't it? I've been fortunate enough to be on a two week break from classes, but as it's Monday, it means it has officially ended. It's sad news, people.

Luckily I've got something to give you that isn't so sad. Right the opposite. Especially if you love nutella - and come on, who doesn't? - you will absolutely love these cookies. They are dense, chewy and fudgy with a crackly brownie-like top, which isn't surprising considering I've adapted the recipe from these practically infamous 4-ingredient nutella brownie bites.  And the best bit is that they can be made, baked and eaten in less than 30 minutes.


I'm the sort who used to eat nutella out of the jar with a spoon (I stopped because uh, apparently, that's unhealthy). This recipe doesn't take much more effort than that - you will need an electric mixer to get the dough to the right consistency, but that's all machine work there. The hardest part would probably be waiting while the dough chills to bake it.


The essential point about this recipe is the technique. The ingredients list and ratio is basically the same as the brownies (except I swapped out hazelnuts for sea salt). I've increased the amount of flour to get a sturdier cookie. But the important thing is to use an electric beater (hand mixing just doesn't get the same results) and most crucially, to freeze the dough. If you've ever made a Momofuku cookie, you'll know that Tosi tells you that her cookie dough will not bake up properly if it hasn't been chilled. That concept applies to this recipe as well; if you don't chill it, the dough will just make puddles of nutella in the oven (which isn't such a bad thing, but not what we're aiming for). To make this recipe extra fast, put it in the freezer for 10 minutes, then put the tray of scooped out cookie dough into the freezer for an extra two minutes before baking just to ensure the dough will hold its form.


The quote above is one of my favorites. So listen to Mark Twain and don't let any feeling of guilt impede on your enjoyment of these cookies - the man wrote Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, so he knows a thing or two about being successful in life.

4-Ingredient Nutella Cookies
Adapted from here and here
Makes 1 dozen

Notes: You'll notice that these cookies don't have any sugar, and that's because I think nutella is sweet enough as it is, and I think the sea salt here balances the sweetness well. If you'd prefer it sweeter, add a tablespoon of sugar to the dough.

1 cup nutella
1 egg
1/2 heaped cup of plain flour (just throw in two extra tablespoons or so to a level cup)
Sea salt for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, combine nutella, egg and flour together with an electric mixer until the dough holds together.  Place the bowl of dough in the freezer for 10 minutes.

Once the dough has been chilled, scoop out 1-inch size balls of dough and place them at least an inch apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle each ball with a tiny bit of sea salt. Place the tray of unbaked cookies back in the freezer for another two minutes.

Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes (take them out earlier if you like a fudgier cookie). Take out, let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack. Enjoy.

11 comments :

  1. I love that these cookies use just 4 ingredients! That's incredible! I'll definitely have to try this out (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! Hope you do. :)

      Delete
  2. Your cookies look so good and I love that they just have four ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ah yes, that's the lazy side of me coming out again.

      Delete
  3. My guilty pleasure is to spread Nutella on sweet biscuits. Now I can spread Nutella on Nutella biscuits!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um...heaven.
    That is what these cookies are!!! OMG yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed they are! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  5. I love Nutella cookies! Oh my goodness, I'm in heaven. These are dangerous for me. So easy and only 4 ingredients. Have I mentioned that I love Nutella? The sea salt adds that little something extra. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know - that was one of the first thoughts that crossed my head, that I wouldn't be able to stop making them cause they take so little effort! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. Yum these actually sound delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe.



    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day, so please leave a little happiness for me!